I made these this weekend. I love how versatile this recipe is. When I made them this weekend, I used a cup of dried cranberries in place of the raisins, and added a 1/2 cup of chopped dates. Then instead of the walnuts, I used a mixture of walnuts, hazelnuts and sliced almonds. They turned out absolutely delicious.
Source: My mom
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Crisco
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together sugars, butter and Crisco. Stir in eggs, vanilla, and milk. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to mixture.
- Add oatmeal, raisins, and nuts. Drop by large tablespoons on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on pan, then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
Serves a LOT!